- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 500 g waxy potatoes, peeled and diced
- 15 g leaves basil
- salt and black pepper
- 200 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 250 g dolcelatte
- 1 tbsp lemon-flavoured olive oil
- pinch dried red chilli flakes, (optional)
Tips and Suggestions
Using a potato ricer to mash the potatoes is important here because the gnocchi are small and any lumps in the mixture will be very noticeable.
1. Boil the potatoes in a saucepan of water for 10-15 minutes until tender, then drain.
2. Using a potato ricer, mash the potatoes into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle over the basil, plenty of salt and pepper, and the flour. Using a wooden spoon or your hands, bring the ingredients together to make a firm dough.
3. On a floured surface, knead the dough gently for a couple of minutes, then roll portions of the dough into 1cm-thick sausages.
4. Cut the sausages into pieces about 1.5-2.5cm long. If you have time, use your thumb to press each dumpling against the back of a fork to make grooves.
5. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Working in batches, gently cook the gnocchi for a minute or two, until they rise to the surface. Use a slotted spoon to scoop them out.
6. Divide the hot gnocchi between serving bowls. Crumble the cheese over the top and add a swirl of the lemon oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of chilli flakes if you wish. Serve while cheese is just melting.
Rate This Recipe