- Serves: 20
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes plus chilling and resting
- Effort: medium
- 625 g strong bread flour
- 12 g salt
- 75 g sugar
- 20 g dried yeast
- ½ bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- 1 handful of basil
- 500 g butter, chilled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 20 slices of Parma ham
- 25 g gruyère cheese, chopped into 20 pieces
1. Place the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, coriander and basil in a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, slowly mix in a little water until the mixture forms into a pliable dough.
2. Place the dough on a floured surface and knead well until it feels elastic.
3. Return the dough to the bowl, cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
4. Return the chilled dough to your floured work surface and roll it into a rectangular shape, around 60cm by 30cm.
5. Roll out the chilled butter into a rectangle about 1cm thick, around 20cm by 30cm.
6. Place the butter rectangle in the centre of dough rectangle, so it covers around a third of the dough.
7. Fold the remaining dough thirds over the butter layer, so that the dough is now in 3 layers.
8. Return the dough to the refrigerator to chill for a further hour.
9. Scatter some more flour over your table and roll out the dough to a rectangular shape, around 60cm by 30cm.
10. Repeat the folding process, then return the dough to the refrigerator for a further hour.
11. Repeat this process of folding and chilling two more times, then wrap the dough in cling film and set it aside to rest overnight.
12. Using a rolling pin, roll out the rested dough to 3mm thickness.
13. Cut the rolled out dough into 10 squares, each square 20cm by 20cm.
14. Cut each square diagonally, making 2 triangles from each dough square.
15. Place the dough triangles on a lightly floured surface with the narrow point facing away from you.
16. Place a slice of Parma ham and a piece of cheese on the dough triangle.
17. Roll each dough triangle up over the ham and cheese filling and curl the dough roll around into a traditional crescent shape.
18. Place the shaped croissants on baking trays lined with silicone baking parchment and leave to rise for 1 hour, 30 minutes.
19. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
20. Lightly egg-wash the croissants and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
Rate This Recipe