- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- handfuls basil
- handfuls pine kernels
- 50 g freshly grated parmesan, or Pecorino cheese
- 5-6 tbsp olive oil
Tips and Suggestions
To store the pesto, pour into a jar, float a layer of olive oil on top, cover and refrigerate for up to a week.
1. Wash and dry the basil leaves.
2. Heat a dry frying pan over a medium heat and toast the pine nuts lightly for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
3. If you're using a pestle and mortar, pound the garlic with the salt to make a soft mush. Pound in the pine nuts, followed by the basil leaves, 2-3 at a time, with a circular movement of the pestle. Continue until you have a silky paste. (The mixture can be frozen at this point).
4. Work in the cheese, then beat in the olive oil with a wooden spoon to make a thick, dense sauce. Add more or less oil depending on the texture you like.
5. If you're using a processor, put all the ingredients in and blend to a luscious green sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Rate This Recipe