- Serves: 3
- Cook Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 500 g lean braising steak, cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 300 ml red wine
- 140 g tomato purée
- 300 ml water
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 50g shelled broad beans, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- black pepper
- crusty bread, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Heat the oil in heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and gently fry until golden.
3. Add the braising steak and cinnamon, and fry for a further 3-5 minutes, stirring, until the meat is lightly browned. Transfer the contents of the frying pan to a casserole.
4. Deglaze the frying pan with half the wine, and pour this mixture into the casserole.
5. Add the tomato purée, water and remaining wine to the casserole. Stir in the bay leaf and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and season to taste.
6. Place the casserole in the oven and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes.
7. Stir in the beans and cook for a further 10 minutes.
8. Stir in the parsley just before serving.
9. Ladle into serving dishes and garnish each dish with a parsley sprig.
10. Serve with good crusty bread.
Rate This Recipe