- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the pickled jalapeños
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 jalapeño peppers, sliced into thin rings, seeds and membrane removed if you prefer a milder taste
For the refried beans
- 25 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 x 400 g cans pinto or kidney beans, drained and rinsed, or 250g dried beans, soaked and cooked according to packet instructions
- 100 ml beef or chicken stock
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
For the tomato salsa
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped red onions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 - 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1/2 lime, juice only
- pinch sugar
For the burritos
- 16 flour tortillas
- 250 g cheddar, or gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 x 200 ml tub creme fraiche
- 1 x 200 g tub guacamole
- 1 small iceberg lettuce, shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2.
2. For the pickled jalapeños: place all the jalapeño ingredients, apart from the jalapeño peppers, into a small saucepan. Add a splash of water, bring to the boil then add the sliced jalapeños and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Strain the jalapeños and reserve, discarding the pickling liquor.
3. For the refried beans:: melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the onion, garlic and chilli and fry for about 8-10 minutes, or until softened and golden around the edges.
4. Stir in the beans, stock, cumin and coriander and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally and mashing the beans every so often using a potato masher, for a further 7-8 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced slightly. Remove from the heat and serve hot or cold.
5. For the tomato salsa: mix all the tomato salsa ingredients together and season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of sugar.
6. For the burritos: put the tortillas in a roasting tin, cover with foil or an upturned heatproof bowl and warm through in the oven for 5-10 minutes. Transfer to serving plates.
7. Spoon the pickled jalapeños, refried beans, salsa, grated cheese, crème fraîche, guacamole and lettuce into individual serving bowls and serve alongside the warm tortillas. Let people help themselves and assemble their own burritos by spooning each of the fillings in a line on their tortilla, then rolling up and eating with their fingers.
Rate This Recipe