- Serves: Makes 600ml bechamel sauce
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1/2 onion
- 3 cloves
- 600 ml milk
- 50 g butter
- 40 g flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp English mustard
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1. Stud the onion half with the cloves. Place it in a pan with the milk and bring to a gentle simmer.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate, heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter gently, then slowly stir in the flour to form a paste.
3. Cook stirring for about 1 minute over moderate heat, then slowly pour in the hot milk through a sieve, stirring constantly.
4. Once all the milk has been mixed in, add in the bay leaf and mustard. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper and a pinch of nutmeg and simmer for 20 minutes stirring now and then. Discard the bay leaf before using the sauce.
Rate This Recipe