- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 450 g pre-made shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
For the savoury filling:
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp lard
- 225 g minced pork
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 cooking apple
- 50 g cooked peas
- black pepper
For the sweet filling:
- 2 apples
- 50 g dates, stoned and chopped
- grated rind of 1 oranges
- 55 g sultanas
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
2. To make the savoury filling, place the chopped onion and lard in a frying pan over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until the onion is soft and golden.
3. Stir in the pork and sage and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring often.
4. Peel, core and chop the apple and add it to the pork mixture. Cook for a further 5 minutes, then stir in the peas, season to taste and leave to cool.
5. To make the sweet filling, peel and chop the apples, then place in a mixing bowl and stir in the chopped dates, orange rind, sultanas and sugar.
6. Roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick and cut out two circles, 25cm in diameter.
7. Re-roll the trimmings and cut out two thick 12.5 x 1cm strips of pastry. Brush the long edges of each strip with a little beaten egg, and stand one strip, on its long side, from the edge to the centre of each circle, to form a wall. Make the strip stand up by pressing the bottom edge quite firmly onto the circle. Brush the edges of the circles all the way around with beaten egg.
8. On one side of each pastry wall put half of the savoury filling, and on the other side put half of the sweet filling.
9. Fold the other half of each pastry circle over the filling to form a pasty shape, and press the centre lightly so that the dividing strip sticks to the top.
10. Pinch the edges firmly together, brush each clanger with the rest of the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
11. Bake the clangers in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 190°C/gas 5 and bake for a further 25 minutes. Serve hot.
Rate This Recipe