- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: medium
- 1.5 kg lean boneless beef
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 500 g smoked pancetta lardons
- 500 g shallots, peeled
- 500 g mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 400 ml red wine, preferably Barolo
- 600 ml beef stock
- leaves Savoy cabbage
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 6 slices foie gras
- sprigs chervil
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Cut the beef into 3cm cubes.
2. Heat half of the oil in a large casserole dish and add the beef. Fry for 3-4 minutes on all sides, until browned.
3. Remove the beef from the casserole. Pour in the remaining oil and add the onions, bay leaf, thyme and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the pancetta and cook for 4-5 minutes more.
5. Stir in the shallots and mushrooms, Cook for 4-5 minutes, until golden.
6. Add the flour and stir well.
7. Pour in the wine and stock and return the beef to the casserole. Season well and place in the oven for 2-3 hours, until the beef is tender. Allow the beef to cool a little.
8. Remove the stalks from the cabbage leaves and blanch them lightly in salted boiling water.
9. Fill the cabbage leaves with the meat mixture and wrap the leaves tightly to make a round package. Wrap firmly in cling film.
10. Steam the packages for 15 minutes.
11. Remove the cling film and serve with leek puree, a slice of foie gras and a sprig of chervil to garnish.
Rate This Recipe