- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 700 g lean stewing beef, cubed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 125 ml dry sherry
- 225 g tinned tomato sauce
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 75 g pimento-stuffed green olives
- 2 tbsp capers
- 5 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- black pepper
- white rice, to serve
1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, deep, lidded frying pan.
2. Add in the onion and fry until transparent. Add in the garlic and fry briefly.
3. Add in the beef and fry until browned on all sides.
4. Add in the cumin and oregano, mixing well. Fry for 2-3 minutes then add in the sherry, tomato sauce, green pepper, bay leaves, vinegar, olives and capers. Add in enough water to just cover the meat.
5. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1-1 hour 30 minutes until the beef is tender, adding more water if necessary.
6. Uncover the stew and add in the potatoes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Cover the stew and simmer until the potatoes are nearly cooked through.
8. Uncover and simmer until the potatoes are tender and serve with white rice.
Rate This Recipe