- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g beef fillet
- olive oil, to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme, leaves
- 2-3 small beetroot, with their leaves, cut into quarters
- 75 g fresh horseradish, peeled
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 150 g creme fraiche
- lemon juice, to taste
1. Rub the beef fillet with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the thyme.
2. Heat a griddle pan to high and brown the beef on each side for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
3. Using a sharp knife, slice the beef very thinly (about ½cm thick) and place carefully between 2 pieces of greaseproof paper. Roll the beef fillet with a rolling pin to make it even thinner.
4. Place the beef on a plate and cover with a piece of greaseproof paper. Set aside.
5. Remove the beetroot leaves from the beetroot and set the leaves aside. Simmer the beetroot in a pan of boiling, salted water for 20-30 minutes, or until the skin eases away when pushed with your thumbs. Drain.
6. Finely grate the horseradish into a bowl and add the red wine vinegar, crème fraîche and salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well, taste and add more horseradish, salt or pepper if necessary. Set aside.
7. Blanch the reserved leaves in a pan of boiling water for about 30 seconds, drain and then toss in a bowl with oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, to taste.
8. To serve, remove the greaseproof paper from the carpaccio. Drizzle over a little olive oil and lemon juice, to taste, and scatter the dressed beetroot leaves over the carpaccio. Peel the beetroot pieces and slice in half. Place the beetroot on top and dress with more olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper. Serve with the creamed horseradish.
Rate This Recipe