- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g lean beef braising steak
- 15 ml seasoned flour
- 30 ml oil
- 1 sticks celery, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into big wedges
- 2 star anise
- 10 green peppercorns, (optional)
- 600 ml Damson or red wine
- 2 tbsp Damson jam
- 12-15 fresh damsons, or red plums, stoned and halved
1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190ºC, 325-350ºF.
2. Toss the beef cubes in the seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the meat and brown. Add the celery, onion, garlic and parsnips and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the star anise and green peppercorns (if using).
3. Mix the damson or red wine and the damson jam and pour over the vegetables, season, bring to the boil.
4. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish and cook for 1½ hours until the meat is tender. 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir in the damsons or plums. Remove star anise before serving.
5. Serve with rustic brown bread to mop up the lovely juices and a bowl of seasonal vegetables.
Rate This Recipe