- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 4 hours 15 minutes plus cooling time
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the braised beef
- 1.5 kg rump steaks
- 1 tsp Maldon sea salt
- 50 g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sticks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 bottles beer
For the salsa
- 1 kg tomatoes, peeled, de-seeded and finely diced
- 400 g red onions, very finely chopped
- 75 g Scotch bonnet chillies, de-seeded and very finely chopped
- 1 packets radishes, coarsely grated
- 1 packets fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 7 limes, juice only
- 3 oranges, juice only
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp achiote, liquid or powder, mixed with 1 tbsp olive oil, optional (see cooks note, below)
Tips and Suggestions
achiote paste is a thick, deep red seasoning made from ground annatto seeds. It is used as a marinade or rub for roast meat and poultry in Mexican cooking. While it will give an authentic Mexican colour and flavour to the salsa, it can be left out.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150C/gas 2.
2. Season the beef with the sea salt and a little freshly ground black pepper.
3. Melt the butter and oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pan and, when it is hot, add the beef and brown on all sides, then remove from the pan.
4. Reheat the butter mixture over a medium heat, add the chopped vegetables and brown all over. Return the beef to the pan with the cloves, bay leaves, peppercorns and beer. Pour in enough water so that it just covers the beef.
5. Cover the pan tightly with greaseproof paper and a lid and cook for 4 hours, until the beef is tender and falling apart.
6. Cool the beef in its cooking liquid, then remove from the liquid and shred into bite-sized pieces. (The cooking liquid will have become a lovely beef stock which you can freeze to make a delicious soup another day.)
7. For the salsa:in a large bowl, combine all the salsa ingredients together well and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
8. Stir the salsa through the shredded beef and season with salt and pepper.
9. Serve with tortilla chips.
Rate This Recipe