- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 beef fillet
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 120 ml olive oil, divided
- 240 ml balsamic vinegar
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1. Heat a heavy frying pan with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over a low heat. Add the onions and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes, until they're soft. Remove the lid and turn up the heat a tad - fry until golden brown. If the onions begin to catch on the bottom of the pan, add a dash of water. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
2. Heat another frying pan over a high heat and add the remaining extra virgin olive oil' Sear both sides of the beef fillets in the hot oil for about 30 seconds on both sides.
3. Pour over the balsamic vinegar and scrape up any sediment from the bottom of the pan - cook down until the vinegar reduces down to a thick sauce.
4. Return the caramelised onions to the pan, reheat, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Place the beef fillets on a serving platter, top with the onions and drizzle with the balsamic reduction before serving.
Rate This Recipe