- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the beetroot
- 4 small cooked beetroot
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 700 ml malt vinegar
- 150 g dark brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 pinches dried red chilli flakes
For the potato cakes
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 tsp wasabi
- 1 tbsp horseradish sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the beef
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 fillet beef steaks, each 175g
1. Grate the beetroot into a metal bowl.
2. Toast the fennel seeds in a dry saucepan and grind to a powder in a spice grinder.
3. Return the fennel seeds to the pan, stir in the vinegar, sugar, garlic, ginger and chilli and bring to the boil. Cook for 20 minutes before pouring over the grated beetroot. Set aside to cool.
4. Boil the potatoes in their skins until tender (15-20 minutes), leave to cool slightly, and peel.
5. Crush the potatoes with a fork and add the wasabi, horseradish, yolks and chives. Mix well and season to taste.
6. Lightly oil a non-stick frying pan and 4 egg poaching rings. Fill the rings with the mixture and cook over a moderate heat until golden brown on both sides, turning once half way through cooking.
7. Heat a grill pan, brush the beef fillets with a little oil and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Leave to rest in a warm place.
8. To serve, place a potato cake onto a warm dinner plate, slice the beef and arrange on top. Spoon the beetroot mixture on top and drizzle a little of the juice around before serving.
Rate This Recipe