- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 60 g parmesan, grated
- 250 g quick-cooking polenta
- dash olive oil
- 250 g fresh wild mushrooms, , preferably ceps, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 50 g mascarpone
- 50 g foie gras, diced
- 25 g butter
- 2 tsp parmesan, grated
- shredded basil
- 4x250 g fillet steaks
- 8 fresh cep mushrooms, quartered
- dash cep oil
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
For the garnish
- cep oil
1. Make the Parmesan sheets by sprinkling a quarter of the cheese over the bottom of a 16-cm omelette pan. Heat, until the cheese has melted and turned light golden.
2. Ease the cheese out of the pan and while still warm, spread out onto a baking tray in a thin layer - you can make 4 individual sheets if you like.
3. Another alternative is to make Parmesan cheese baskets. Press the melted cheese into a tea cup. The underside of the Parmesan crackling, the side in contact with the pan, should be on the outside of the basket as it is shinier. Leave on one side to cool. When crisp, carefully remove the baskets from the cup. The crackling may also be formed into various other shapes.
4. Preheat the oven to 250C/gas 9.
5. Cook the polenta, according to packet instructions, and keep warm.
6. Heat a dash of olive oil in a pan and fry the chopped mushrooms, shallot and garlic until lightly coloured.
7. Mix the contents of the pan into the hot polenta, and add the mascarpone cheese, foie gras, 20g of the butter, Parmesan cheese and shredded basil. Keep warm.
8. Season the beef steaks with salt and pepper.
9. Heat an ovenproof pan until very hot. Add a drizzle of olive oil and brown the beef over a high to seal.
10. Add the quartered ceps, the remaining knob of butter and more seasoning. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast for 6-8 minutes for medium cooked steak.
11. Add a splash of cep oil to the pan and leave the beef to rest for 2-3 minutes.
12. Spoon a helping of polenta onto each plate and drizzle with a little more cep oil.
13. Top the polenta with a steak and garnish with the fried, quartered cep mushrooms.
14. Spoon a little of the juices from the roasting pan around the polenta. Top with the Parmesan crackling and scatter over the remaining cep quarters. Dust with cep powder before serving.
Rate This Recipe