- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the beef in beer
- 1.4 kg boned beef leg slices or beef shin
- 2 sticks celery, boned beef leg slices or
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 500 ml ale, or larger
- 3 bay leaves, torn in half
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- seasonal green vegetables
For the dumplings
- 150 g shredded suet
- 150 g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 4 tbsp freshly grated horseradish
- 100 ml cold water
1. For the beef in beer: place the beef in a slow cooker dish with the celery, carrots, onion, tomato purée and flour and mix well.
2. Pour the beer over the beef, add the bay leaves and season well with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook on high in the slow cooker for 6 hours, or until the stew is rich and the meat tender.
3. For the dumplings: using your hands, mix the suet, flour and horseradish together in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and add just enough cold water to bring the mixture together to a soft dough.
4. Flour your hands and then divide the mixture into 6-8 portions and roll into balls, dusting your hands with more flour if necessary. Place the dumplings around the edge of the slow cooker dish in a single layer.
5. Cover the stew again and cook for further 2 hours, or until the dumplings are risen and soft. Serve hot with plenty of seasonal green vegetables.
Rate This Recipe