- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 kg chuck steak, or blade steak, cut into 2cm chunks
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 300 g carrots, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 3 canned anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 170 ml red wine
- 2 sheets ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- tomato chutney
- green salad
- mashed potato
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. You will need a 2-litre pie dish or 6 x 200ml individual pie dishes or large ramekins.
2. Put the flour, paprika and sea salt in a large bowl, add some freshly ground black pepper and stir to combine. Toss the beef in the seasoned flour until coated, then transfer to a casserole dish.
3. Add the tomatoes, onion, carrots, garlic, sage, anchovies and red wine and mix well.
4. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened slightly and the beef and carrots are tender.
5. Meanwhile, using the pie dish or individual dishes placed upside-down as a guide, cut out round(s) of pastry for the pie lid(s), allowing an extra 1cm all around.
6. Spoon the beef filling into the dish(es) and cover with the pastry lid(s), pushing down around the rim. Make a slit in the top with a sharp knife.
7. Brush the pastry with beaten egg yolk and bake the pie(s) in the oven until the crust is light golden brown. Allow 35-40 minutes for a large pie; 20-25 minutes for individual pies.
8. Serve with tomato chutney and a green salad, or for a more substantial meal, with mashed potato.
Rate This Recipe