- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 beef rump steak, (about 200g)
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- handful smoked pancetta lardons
- 2 small banana shallots, diced
- 7 leaves from a brussels' sprout top or 3 leaves dark green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 5 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- small handful blanched hazelnuts, roughly crushed
1. Heat half of the vegetable oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the beef and fry for 2 minutes before turning and adding the rosemary and thyme. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes for rare, or until cooked to your liking.
2. Remove the beef, herbs and any juices from the pan and rest together on a warm plate.
3. Place the pan back on the heat, add the remaining oil and tip in the pancetta lardons. Fry for 3-4 minutes, until crisp and golden-brown in places.
4. Stir in the shallots and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the shallots are golden-brown, then add the sprout tops and fry for 20 seconds.
5. Add about 2 tablespoons of water to the pan and cook until the sprout tops are wilted. Stir in the sage, hazelnuts and any beef juices that have collected on the plate and cook for about 1 minute, until the sage is aromatic.
6. To serve, spoon the sprout tops onto a warm serving plate and top with the beef and herbs.
Rate This Recipe