- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1.4 kg fillet of beef, in one piece
- English mustard
- 50 g butter
- 500 g chicken livers
- 500 g field mushrooms, chopped
- 200 g puff pastry
- 8 ready-made savoury pancakes
Tips and Suggestions
This is great served with buttered new potatoes and cabbage mixed with diced bacon.
1. Preheat the grill. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Season the beef with a generous amount of sea salt and pepper. Smear over a coating of english mustard and oil (this will prevent it from sticking to the grill).
3. Sear the meat on the grill to give it some colour - this may take under a minute on each side.
4. Place the beef in a roasting tin and cook in the oven for 7-8 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
5. Increase the oven temperature to 220C/gas 7.
6. Meanwhile, heat half the butter in a frying pan and fry the chicken livers for a few minutes until tender. Place the livers in a food processor or blender and blend briefly to a coarse pâté consistency.
7. Heat the remaining butter in the frying pan and cook the mushrooms for a few minutes until soft. Drain on kitchen paper and leave to cool.
8. Roll out the puff pastry about 5mm thick into a rectangle large enough to enclose the beef joint.
9. To assemble: place the pancakes on the pastry ensuring that they overlap to stop any meat juices touching the pastry.
10. Spread half of the pâté on top of the pancakes, then scatter the mushrooms over the top.
11. Place the beef in the centre and spread the remaining pâté all over the top of the joint. Then fold the pastry all around the beef so that it is completely covered to form a neat parcel.
12. Brush with the beaten egg and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.
Rate This Recipe