- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- olive oil, for frying
- 4 beef fillet steaks
- 2 shallots, cut into wedges
- 150 g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp leaves of thyme, chopped, plus 4 sprigs to garnish
- 250 ml chianti wine
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp butter
- mashed potatoes, to serve (optional)
1. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan. Season the steaks on both sides and cook over a high heat for 2-3 minutes each side or longer, depending on their thickness and how you like your steak. Transfer the beef to a platter and leave to rest in a low (warm) oven.
2. Add the shallots to the pan and sauté over a low heat. Add the mushrooms and thyme, increase the heat and stir constantly until the mushrooms are cooked.
3. Add the wine and tomato purée. Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken slightly. Add the butter, then remove the pan from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Pour the sauce over the steaks and garnish each with a sprig of thyme. Serve immediately with mashed potatoes, if desired.
Rate This Recipe