- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- oil, for deep frying
- 200 g plain flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- salt and black pepper
- 200 ml beer
- 200 g unsweetened coconut flakes
- 24 large raw prawns, peeled and veins removed, with tails left on
- flatbreads, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 180°C.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, herbs and spices in a bowl.
3. Gradually add the beer and whisk until it becomes a smooth batter.
4. Place the coconut flakes in another bowl.
5. One at a time, holding them by the tail, dip the prawns into the batter to coat and then dredge with the coconut.
6. Deep-fry in batches in the oil for about 2-3 minutes until golden.
7. Drain on kitchen paper and season lightly with salt and pepper.
8. Serve with flat bread.
Rate This Recipe