- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 100 g cheddar cheese
- 375 g self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 330 ml ale, such as India Pale Ale
- 20 g butter, melted (optional)
To serve (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Grate the cheddar cheese into a mixing bowl. Sift in the flour and the sugar, then mix well. Then, slowly pour in the beer, mixing as you go, until the mixture comes together to form a wet dough.
3. Pour the dough mixture into a greased loaf tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the bread is risen and golden-brown. To check if the bread is cooked all the way through, tap the bottom with your knuckles it should sound hollow. During the remaining 4-5 minutes of cooking, you can brush the crust of the bread with the melted butter, if preferred.
4. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing. Serve on its own, or with pickles, ham and cheese.
Rate This Recipe