- Serves: makes 1 loaf
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 2 hrs rising time mins
- Effort: easy
- 250 g strong wholemeal flour
- 250 g strong bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tbsp salt
- 20 g dried yeast
- 30 g butter, softened
- 300 ml beer
1. Put all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix together until the mixture forms a dough.
2. Knead for 3-4 minutes, until smooth.
3. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for a further 5 minutes, and then put the dough back into a bowl and leave to rest in a warm place for 1 hour.
4. Return the dough to the floured work surface and shape into a ball, then flatten and roll up. Put the dough onto a greased baking sheet and leave to rise for a further hour.
5. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Cut several slashes across the top of the bread and dust with wholemeal flour.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Rate This Recipe