- Serves: Makes 1 cake
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus soaking
- Effort: easy
- 75 g all-bran cereal
- 400-450ml semi-skimmed milk
- 150 g unrefined caster sugar
- 130 g sultanas
- 25 g beetroot, grated
- 25 g courgettes, grated
- 180 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder, sifted
- 1 tbsp clear honey
Tips and Suggestions
Strange but true, vegetables work very well in the baking of cakes. Many vegetables are sweet in taste and very distinctive in flavour, such as cucumber and beetroot.
Other vegetables, which lend themselves to baking include: sweetcorn, carrots, parsnips, courgettes, red cabbage, sweet potato, and of course rhubarb, which surprisingly is a vegetable. Using this recipe is a great way to add more vegetables and fibre to our diet.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. In a large mixing bowl set the all-bran to soak in the milk until soft and porridge-like.
3. Add the caster sugar, bettroot, courgette, self-raising flour, baking powder and honey to the soaked all-bran, mixing well.
4. Spoon the mixture into a parchment-lined, greased large loaf tin or deep 20cm cake tin.
5. Bake for 1 hour until set. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin.
Rate This Recipe