- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 bunches beetroot
- 225 g halloumi cheese, sliced thickly
- 1 aubergine
- 2 handfuls of rocket
- 70 g pine nuts
- 1 tbsp tahini
- The juice of 1 lemons
- 1 cloves garlic
- 120 ml olive oil
- 2 pitta bread, grilled to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200C/180 fan/gas 6. Wrap each beetroot in aluminium foil and season with salt and drizzle with a little of the olive oil. Place on a large baking tray. Now prick the aubergine all over with a fork, also place on a baking tray with the clove of garlic. Drizzle slightly with olive oil and season with salt. Bake the beetroot for 40 minutes, or until tender and the aubergine and garlic for 30 minutes or until the aubergine is charred.
2. Allow the beetroot to cool completely and with gloves peel off the skin, slice into thick circles and reserve.
3. Remove the black skin of the eggplant and place flesh in a bowl. Add tahini, salt, pepper, garlic, oil, and a squeeze of lemon. Using a fork mash the ingredients (it should be roughly combined but not pureed).
4. Now fry the halloumi in hot pan until soft and golden on each side.
5. Arrange the beetroot circles on the plate with a dollop of the aubergine in the centre. Combine the pine nuts and rocket with a little olive oil and salt in bowl and toss. Place a mound of the rocket on top of the aubergine and finally scatter the warm halloumi. Serve with pita bread.
Rate This Recipe