- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp pickled beetroot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp pickled beetroot juices, from jar
- 3-4 tbsp oil, for grilling or frying
For the avocado, tomato and lime salad:
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, quartered
- 100 g baby rocket
- 4 breakfast muffins
1. Heat the butter and oil in a fry pan and cook the onion slowly until pale and soft, then cool.
2. Combine the meat, egg yolk, capers, salt and pepper in a bowl, add the cooled onions and mix well. Add the beetroot and beetroot juice, and mix well.
3. With wet hands, shape the meat into 4 large, flat burgers (the traditional method) or make 8 smaller, taller patties.
4. Heat a ridged cast iron grill over a moderate heat, and brush it will a little oil. Brush the burgers with oil and grill for about 5 minutes on each side. Alternatively, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers.
5. To make the salad, cut the tomatoes in half, squeeze out and discard the seeds, and coarsely chop the flesh.
6. Peel the avocado, remove the stone, and cut into bite-sized cubes. Whisk the olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper in a bowl and lightly toss with the tomato, avocado and rocket.
7. Serve the cooked burgers with toasted, split muffins and a little of the avocado, rocket and lime salad.
Rate This Recipe