- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1.1666666666666667 hours 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 beetroot, unpeeled
- olive oil, for baking and frying
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 baking potatoes
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 rashers of rindless streaky bacon, (optional), chopped into 2cm cubes
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
Tips and Suggestions
This makes a great vegan side dish if you omit the bacon
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Place the beetroot in an ovenproof dish, drizzle with olive oil and season. Roast for one hour or until soft. Leave to cool, then peel and dice the beetroot into 2cm cubes.
2. Peel the potatoes and dice into 2cm cubes, then cook in boiling, salted water until just cooked through - about 10 minutes. Drain well.
3. Place a frying pan on the hob over medium heat and add a splash of olive oil. Gently fry the shallots (and bacon, if desired) for 2-3 minutes, until the shallots are translucent and the bacon cooked through.
4. Add the potato, and fry for a minute, stirring, before adding the beetroot. Cover the pan with a lid and warm the beetroot through for 1-2 minutes over medium-low heat.
5. Remove the lid, check the seasoning, add the chopped parsley, and serve hot.
Rate This Recipe