- Serves: makes approximately 500g
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 fresh beetroot
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 420 g canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 60 ml olive oil
- pitta bread, toasted
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced
- carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1. Put the whole beetroot in a saucepan with a little water and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and leave to cook for about 25 minutes. You can test to see if they're ready by pushing back the skin with your thumb - if the skin comes off easily then the beetroot are done.
2. Once the beetroot are cooked, peel the skin off and chop them up roughly.
3. Put the garlic, beetroot and chickpeas in a food processer and whizz until well blended. Add the lemon juice and olive oil through the feed tube to make a fairly coarse paste. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Spoon into a serving bowl and serve with slices of bread, pitta, carrots, fennel or celery.
Rate This Recipe