- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 900 g beetroot, cooked, skinned and diced
- 1 cinnamon, stick
- 450 g pumpkin, skinned, de-seeded and finely grated
- 2 oranges, zests
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 570 ml malt vinegar, or red wine vinegar
- 225 g granulated sugar
- 0.25 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
1. Place the beetroot, cinnamon stick, pumpkin , orange zest, mustard powder, malt vinegar, sugar, cayenne and curry powder in a large heavy-based saucepan.
2. Mix well and bring to the boil.
3. Simmer gently for 25 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve at room temperature with pan-fried gammon . The sambel can be kept for months if stored in a sterilised jar.
Rate This Recipe