- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 medium beetroot, with a small stalk still attached but leaves removed
- 2 green garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 300 g pearl barley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250-300 ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
Tips and Suggestions
Green garlic is fresh garlic harvested young and eaten whole. It has only a hint of cloves separating inside the bulb and the hard paper skins that wrap each clove are soft and tender, so you can eat the whole bulb.
1. Place the beets in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil, then let simmer for 30-40 minutes or until fully tender. Drain, slip off the skins and mash into a purée.
2. While the beets are cooking, sauté the green garlic, rosemary and pearl barley in 1 tablespoon olive oil for a few minutes, then add the hot stock. Keep adding stock if necessary until the barley is fully cooked. This will take approximately 40 minutes.
3. Add the puréed beetroot, the rest of the olive oil and walnut oil into the barley and season with freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for a few minutes or just let it sit, covered, for 10 minutes before serving.
Want to try something different? See lots more of our beetroot recipes.
Rate This Recipe