- Serves: 3-4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 350 g raw beetroot
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and very finely chopped
- 100 g onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 0.125-0.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 225 g tomatoes, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 ml water
1. Peel the beetroot and cut them into wedges. A medium-sized beetroot, about 5cm in length, should, for example, be cut into 6 wedges.
2. Put the oil in a medium-sized pan and set over a medium heat. When hot, put in the cumin seeds. Let them sizzle for 5 seconds. Put in the garlic. Stir and fry until the garlic pieces turn golden. Put in the onions. Stir and fry for 2 minutes. Put in the flour and cayenne. Stir and fry for a minute. Now put in the beetroot, the tomatoes, salt and water. Bring to a simmer. Cover, turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until the beetroot are tender. Remove lid, turn up heat to medium, and cook uncovered for about 7 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
3. This dish may be made ahead of time and reheated.
Rate This Recipe