- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the Bengali Style Pan Fried Tilapia
- 240 g fillets of tilapia, (2 fillets, cleaned by gently rubbing salt on each side and rinsing with water)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp water
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 50 ml oil, for shallow frying
For the kachumbar
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 fresh green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- small bunches fresh coriander
1. For the tilapia: place the fish fillets in a shallow dish. Mix the salt, turmeric, coriander, cumin and curry powder with the water in a small bowl and then pour over the tilapia fish fillets, ensuring that both sides of each fish fillet are coated with the spice mixture. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, on a medium heat and add the thinly sliced onion. Cook, stirring until soft and translucent.
3. Add tilapia fillets to the pan, cooking on a medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side, until both sides are slightly golden, while also ensuring that the onions are lightly golden in colour alongside the fish.
4. For the kachumbar: place the onion and tomatoes in a bowl. Add the chilli, coriander and a pinch of salt and mix well.
5. To serve: place the hot fish on serving plates and accompany with the kambuchar.
Rate This Recipe