- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes plus cooling and freezing
- Effort: medium
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 punnet of strawberries, sliced if large
- 1 punnet of raspberries
- ½ punnet of blackberries
- ½ punnet of redcurrants
- ½ punnet of blackcurrants
- 8 large mint leaves, finely chopped
For the ras el hanout ice cream:
- 1 litres milk
- 25 g ras el hanout spice blend
- 10 egg yolks
- 100 g caster sugar
For the hibiscus syrup:
- 500 ml water
- 500 g caster sugar
- handful of dried hibiscus flowers, soaked in 100ml water
Tips and Suggestions
Ras el hanout is a fragrant Moroccan spice mixture and can be found in Middle Eastern grocery stores or in specialist sections of large supermarkets.
Hibiscus flowers can also be found in Middle Eastern grocery stores.
1. First make the ice cream. Put the milk and ras el hanout in a large saucepan and bring just to the boil. Remove from the heat.
2. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together for 3-4 minutes until pale and creamy.
3. Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the eggs.
4. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan. Simmer gently without boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. When the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
5. Once completely cold, pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a freezer-proof container, cover the surface with cling film and freeze.
6. Next make the hibiscus syrup. Pour the water and sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil. As soon as the mixture starts to boil, remove from the heat and add the hibiscus flowers and soaking water. Leave to infuse for 5-10 minutes, then pour through a sieve and allow to cool.
7. To make the berry soup, heat the olive oil in a large high-sided frying pan and lightly fry the fruit. Add the mint, then the hibiscus syrup. Bring to the boil, then simmer briskly for 3-4 minutes until slightly reduced.
8. To serve, pour the hot soup into shallow bowls and add a scoop of ice cream.
Rate This Recipe