- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: medium
- 1 piece of very fresh bison fillet, 20cm in length, ends trimmed off
- olive oil, for brushing
For the spice rub:
- 150 g peppercorns, roughly crushed
- 6 dried chillies
- pinch of dried thyme
- pinch of dried oregano
For the salad:
- 50 g rocket
- 50 g watercress
- 50 g spinach leaves
- shavings of parmesan, to garnish
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
1. First make the spice rub. In a pestle and mortar crush together the peppercorns, dried chillies, thyme and oregano. Spread the spice rub evenly over a tray.
2. Lightly brush the bison fillet with olive oil. Evenly coat the bison fillet in the spice rub.
3. Preheat a griddle until very hot. Place the bison on the griddle and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side over a very high heat, searing the sides of the fillet but leaving the meat raw in the centre.
4. Remove, cool, wrap tightly in cling film and chill, either in the refrigerator for 2 hours or a freezer for 20 minutes.
5. Slice the chilled bison into medium thick slices.
6. Make the dressing by whisking together the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Toss together the rocket, watercress and baby spinach in a serving dish and toss with the dressing.
8. Layer the bison slices over the salad and garnish with Parmesan shavings. Serve.
Rate This Recipe