- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus marinating and cooling
- Effort: hard
- 1 sheet of spring roll wrapper
- 500 ml vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For the filling:
- 200 g white chocolate, broken into squares
- 100 ml double cream
- 20 ml coconut rum
- 1 tbsp finely chopped preserved preserved stem ginger
To seal the spring rolls:
- 50 g plain flour
- 60 ml water
For the coffee sauce:
- 150 ml double cream
- 150 ml milk
- 75 g Hawaiian coffee beans
- 3 egg yolks
- 50 g caster sugar
1. First prepare the coffee sauce. Mix together the cream, milk and coffee beans in a jug and set aside to marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
2. Strain the coffee milk mixture, discarding the beans.
3. Place the coffee-flavoured milk mixture in a heavy-based saucepan. Bring to just under boiling point.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a bow.
5. Add the egg yolk mixture to the hot coffee-flavoured milk, whisking as you do so. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture nearly comes to the boil.
6. Strain into a bowl, cool and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
7. To make the filling, melt the white chocolate in a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water.
8. Meanwhile, bring the double cream to the boil in a saucepan. Pour the hot cream into the melted chocolate and mix together. Once thoroughly mixed, mix in the rum.
9. Cool the white chocolate mixture then refrigerate for 1 hour.
10. Make the spring roll sealer by mixing together the flour and water into a paste.
11. Cut the spring roll wrapper into four equal-sized squares.
12. Brush the spring roll sealer along all four edges of each square.
13. Pipe the white chocolate mixture across the centre of each square and sprinkle with a little of the finely chopped preserved ginger.
14. Roll the spring roll wrappers up over the filling, sealing the edges well. Place the 4 spring rolls on a baking sheet. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
15. Heat the vegetable oil in deep saucepan. Using a frying basket, fry the spring rolls at a medium heat for 40 seconds.
16. Remove the spring rolls and drain on a wire rack.
17. Serve the freshly-fried spring rolls with the coffee sauce.
Rate This Recipe