- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hr chilling
- Effort: easy
For the chocolate pastry
- 225 g flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 150 g butter, cubed
- 100 g caster sugar
- ½ vanilla pods, seeds only (optional)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
For the chocolate filling
- 300 ml double cream
- 80 ml milk
- 350 g dark chocolate, (minimum 70% cocoa), roughly chopped
- 3 eggs
- 125 g caster sugar
1. For the pastry: sift the flour and cocoa powder into a bowl and stir in the sugar and vanilla seeds. Rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
2. Gradually mix in the egg until the dough just comes together (you may not need all the egg). Shape the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling film and rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
3. Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out into a circle slightly larger than a 24cm flan ring. Use the rolling pin to lift the dough and carefully drape it into the tin. Gently press the dough down into the corners of the tin and trim off any excess. Chill for 15 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line the pastry case with a piece of greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake blind in the oven for 25 minutes then remove the baking beans and paper and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
5. For the chocolate filling: reduce the oven temperature to 100C/80C fan/gas ½. Pour the cream and milk into a pan and bring to scalding point.
6. Pour the hot cream and milk over the chocolate pieces and mix quickly and firmly, using a small balloon whisk, until you have a smooth, glossy mixture. Beat in the eggs and sugar then pour the mixture into the cooled pastry case.
7. Bake the filled tart for 15 minutes, or until just set. Remove from the oven and leave to cool to room temperature.
8. Cut into slices and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Rate This Recipe