- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cream
- 2 red peppers, halved, seeds removed
- olive oil, for rubbing
- ½ hot red chillies, preferably scotch bonnet, seeds removed, chopped
- ½ limes, juice only
- 50 ml double cream
For the soup
- 1 tbsp sunflower or groundnut oil
- 15 g butter
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 sticks celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 850 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 x 400 g cans black beans, drained
1. For the cream: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Brush the peppers with olive oil inside and out and roast for about 30 minutes, or until completely soft. Put the peppers with their cooking juices into a blender with all the other ingredients for the cream. Blend until smooth. Chill until needed.
2. For the soup: meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a saucepan over a low-medium heat and add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook gently for a couple of minutes, then add a generous splash of water and cover with a lid. Sweat the vegetables for about 15 minutes, adding a splash of water when necessary to ensure they dont burn.
3. Remove the lid, add the cumin and cook for a minute to release its lovely aroma, then add the stock and beans. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes. Leave to cool, then whizz in a blender until smooth.
4. Reheat the soup and serve hot with spoonfuls of the cream on top.
Rate This Recipe