- Serves: 4-6 as a side dish
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 125 g black beans, soaked overnight
- 700 ml water
- 1 1/2 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 plum tomatoes
- 2 medium avocado, diced
- 1 small red onion, thickly sliced
- 2 jalapeño chillies, or other large fresh green chillies, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp cooked fresh or frozen sweetcorn
- 4 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 200 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander
1. Drain the beans and put in a saucepan with the water and the whole garlic clove. Bring to the boil, and boil rapidly for 20 minutes, or until the beans are soft but not disintegrating, Add a teaspoon of salt 5 minutes before the end.
2. Drain under cold running water. Put in a large bowl.
3. Add the tomatoes, avocados, onion, chillies, sweetcorn, the remaining half clove of garlic, finely chopped, and the salt. Toss with the lemon juice, olive oil and coriander. Leave to stand for about 1 hour before serving.
Rate This Recipe