- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 20 minutes plus cooling time
- Prep Time:
- Effort: medium
For the baked waffle cones:
- 250 g plain flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 125 g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 360 ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 ml kirsch or cherry brandy
- 8-12 flat-bottomed waffle cone
For the chocolate cherry buttercream:
- 70 g butter, softened
- 140 g icing sugar, sifted
- 4 tbsp water or milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cherry extract
- 50 g chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
For the cherry whipped cream:
- 240 ml whipping cream
- 200 g icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp kirsch or cherry brandy
- 1 cans stoned cherries, drained
- chocolate shavings, for garnishing
1. Preheat oven to 180C/ 160C fan/gas 4.
2. For the baked waffle cones: Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Then add your eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Next, begin alternately adding the flour mixture and milk, carefully folding these in. Add the vanilla extract and cherry brandy to the bowl and mix very well.
4. Line your cupcake tray with flat bottomed ice cream cones. Fill each ice cream cone a little more than half way with the cupcake batter. Do not over fill because the cakes will rise a lot.
5. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool.
6. For the chocolate cherry buttercream: Cream the butter and then add the vanilla and cherry extracts, plus half the water. Blend well again. Add the sifted icing sugar a little at a time on a low speed until all of the sugar is mixed in well. Add the rest of the water if the mix is too thick. Add the cooled melted chocolate, and mix a final time completely. Once the cupcakes in the cone are cooled this will be the first layer frosted on the cake.
7. For the cherry whipped cream: In a large bowl, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Add sugar, vanilla and liqueur and beat until stiff.
8. Once the cones are cooled and the toppings are ready, add a layer of chocolate cherry buttercream to the top of the cones.Then pipe the whipped cream on top, garnishing with stoned cherries. For a daring cake maker add one more layer of the chocolate cherry buttercream, before topping it off with a cherry and a few chocolate shavings.
Courtesy of Mychelle's Baketique.
Rate This Recipe