- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1.1666666666666667 hours 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the beans
- 250 g cannellini beans, soaked overnight in cold water
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stick celery
- 2 tsp choppedcloves garlic
- 50 g ham, roughly chopped
- 1 clove
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
For the black pudding and apple mixture
- 250 g shop-bought black pudding, preferably a soft variety, cut into 1cm slices
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 pink dessert apples, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- ground black pepper
1. For the beans, rinse the soaked beans and transfer to a large pan with the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, ham, clove, thyme and bay leaf.
2. Cover with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer until the beans are soft - about an hour. You might need to add more water if they dry out while cooking. Drain the beans and remove the clove, thyme and bay leaf. Crush the beans with a potato masher and mix in the ground cumin and chilli powder.
3. For the black pudding, preheat a grill and cook the slices for 2 minutes each side - the slices should have a slight crust. Remove from the grill pan and discard any tough skin. Leave on one side.
4. Heat the oil in a medium frying pan and cook the shallots over a medium heat until soft but not coloured. Add the apple, cook for a further 2 minutes, then add the parsley. Pour in the cider vinegar and combine with the other ingredients. Season to taste with pepper.
5. Warm through the bean pureé and spoon onto warmed plates. Top with slices of black pudding and garnish with the apple mixture. Serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe