- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g lamb, from the shoulder, cut into 4cm pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- sprigs thyme, leaves picked (or ½ tsp dried thyme)
- sprigs marjoram, leaves picked (or ½ tsp dried marjoram)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 2 heaped tsp bajan seasoning, (see cooks note)
- dashes of pepper sauce, or Tabasco
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 30 g butter
- 1 heaped tsp plain flour
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 large raw beetroot, diced
- 3 small green bananas, cut into 3cm chunks
- 1 bouquet garni, (bay leaf, thyme, marjoram)
Tips and Suggestions
see Gary Rhodes recipe for Bajan green seasoning
1. Wash the lamb and pat dry. Toss with the garlic, herbs, stock cube, onion, celery, Bajun seasoning and pepper sauce.
2. Heat a dry pan and add the sugar. As soon as it caramelises, add the lamb mixture and fry gently for a few minutes.
3. Stir in the butter and flour. Add the carrot, beetroot, green bananas and bouquet garni.
4. Pour over enough water to cover and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lamb is tender. Top up with water during cooking if necessary. Serve with rice.
Rate This Recipe