- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 10 mins chilling time
- Effort: easy
- 275 g plain flour
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 pinches salt
- 175 g butter, cubed
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 large bramley apple, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
- 300 g blackberries
- 50 g sugar, plus a little extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- double cream or ice cream, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
To reduce the saturated fat content of the dish try using less pastry. Make the pie with only one crust (either a lid or a base) rather than two or try a latticed pastry lid. For more information on healthier eating see eatwell.gov.uk
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Sift the flour, icing sugar and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons chilled water and then quickly stir into the bowl until there are no floury patches. If the mix seems dry, add a few more drops of water. Gently bring the mixture together with your hands to make a dough. Divide in two and shape into discs, then cover each piece with cling film and chill for 10 minutes until firm.
2. Combine the apples, blackberries, sugar and cornflour together in a small bowl, taking care not to damage the berries.
3. Using a 23cm ovenproof dish as a guide, roll out each piece of pastry into a large round, slightly bigger than the plate. Line the dish with one round of pastry, then fill with the fruit mixture. Brush the pastry edge with egg white, then cover with the other piece of pastry, pressing edges together firmly.
4. Brush the top with egg white and use a sharp knife to cut a slit in the centre to allow steam to escape. Put the pie on a baking tray with a rim to prevent any juice leaking into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180C/gas 4 and cook for a further 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Sprinkle with sugar, then serve slices with cream or ice cream.
Rate This Recipe