- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the filling
- 250 g frozen blackberries
- 200 g eating apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- knob butter
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
For the topping
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 50 g brown sugar
- 75 g plain flour
- 25 g ground almonds
- 25 g roasted hazelnuts
- pinch ground cinnamon
For the custard
- 500 ml double cream
- 100 ml milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 50 g sugar
- 1 bay leaf
1. For the filling: put the blackberries in a saucepan and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile put the apples in a pan with the butter and sugar and gently sweat until just cooked.
3. When both fruits are cooked, put them into ovenproof dish and roughly stir together.
4. For the topping: preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
5. Put all of the topping ingredients in a large bowl and rub the butter into the flour until you have a coarse breadcrumb-like mixture.
6. Sprinkle it over a greased baking sheet and cook until golden and crisp.
7. Cover the filling with the crisped topping and bake until the fruit is bubbling.
8. For the custard: heat the cream, milk and bay leaf in a pan to scalding point, then set to one side to infuse.
9. Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar, then pour over the hot milk and cream, whisking continuously.
10. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a low heat, stirring until thickened - do not allow to boil.
11. Serve the crumble with a generous amount of custard.
Rate This Recipe