- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 225 g wholemeal flour
- 225 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 25 g butter, melted
- 300 ml milk
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 225 g Shopshire blue, blue vinney or stilton cheese, roughly crumbled
- 85 g walnut pieces, lightly toasted
For the celery salad
- 6 sticks celery, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 Cox's apples
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large handfuls watercress, washed and picked over
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas mark 5.
2. For the bread, sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda, salt, sugar and pepper into a large bowl.
3. Combine the melted butter with the milk. Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in the liquid and, using your hands, mix to a soft dough. Add the cheese and walnuts and gently knead to combine.
4. Turn out onto a floured surface and shape into a rough oval, about 5cm thick. Place on a floured baking sheet and, using a sharp knife, slash the bread on the diagonal 3 times.
5. Dust with a little extra flour and bake for 40 minutes - the bread should be a golden brown colour and sound hollow when tapped. Leave to cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
6. For the celery salad, combine all the salad ingredients and season with black pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl.
7. Cut the bread into thick chunks and serve with the salad. If you're feeling indulgent, add an extra slab of blue cheese.
Rate This Recipe