- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: medium
For the pastry
- 50 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 100 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
For the filling
- 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
- olive oil, for frying
- 200 g sweet white grapes, halved
- 350 g stilton cheese, crumbled
- ½ tsp paprika
- rocket, watercress and walnut salad
1. For the pastry: cut the butter into small cubes. Mix the flour and paprika in a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingers until it is the texture of fine breadcrumbs and there are no lumps of butter left. Slowly add as much cold water as you need to bring the pastry together into a dough. Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
3. Roll out the pastry dough on a floured surface and use to line a greased 18cm tart tin. Prick the base a few times with a fork, then cover with a sheet of baking paper and fill with baking beans.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, until the pastry is almost cooked through. Remove the baking beans and paper from the pastry shell.
5. For the filling: gently fry the sliced onion in a little olive oil until softened.
6. Scatter the softened onion, grapes and stilton into the pastry shell in layers, finishing with a layer of stilton. Sprinkle the paprika over the top. Return to the oven for another 10-12 minutes until the cheese has melted and the top is starting to brown.
7. Leave the tart to cool and serve at room temperature with a rocket, watercress and walnut salad.
Rate This Recipe