- Serves: 10
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 180 g unsalted butter
- 200 g icing sugar, (plus extra for dusting)
- 60 g plain flour, sifted
- 120 g ground almonds
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 lemons, grated zest only
- 1 punnet blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Melt the butter and leave to cool. Use 1 tablespoon to butter a 10-cup friand tin (or muffin mould) and add a light scattering of flour to coat. Place a small disc of greaseproof paper into the base of each mould.
2. Sift the icing sugar and flour into a bowl.
3. Stir in the ground almonds.
4. Lightly beat the egg whites with a fork and fold them into the dry ingredients.
5. Add the cooled melted butter and the lemon zest; mix well.
6. Fill each of the moulds three-quarters full and place on a tray, taking care not to overfill the tins.
7. Scatter a few blueberries onto each cake.
8. Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the tray around and bake for another 15 minutes, or until the tops are golden and spring back to the touch.
9. Remove from the oven and leave for 5 minutes before gently transferring to a wire rack - remove them from the tin whilst still warm.
10. Leave to cool, dust with icing sugar and serve. Friands will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Rate This Recipe