- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the filling
- 25 ml olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 3 tbsp membrillo (quince cheese)
- 3 tbsp sultanas, soaked over night in 2 tbsp brandy
- 3 tbsp toasted almonds
For the custard topping
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- grated nutmeg
- pinch sugar
- 570 ml whipping cream
- splash brandy
For the summer salsa
- 2 medium avocado, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 limes, juice only
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 vine tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- splash fish sauce
Tips and Suggestions
if you are not using the salsa straight away, cover the surface with clingfilm, then cover the top of the bowl again tightly to keep the air out and prevent any discolouring.
1. For the filling: heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a high heat, add the onions and garlic and fry until soft and just coloured.
2. Add the lamb and fry, stirring continuously, until coloured. Turn down the heat. Stir in the tomato puree, curry powder and quince cheese, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
3. Taste and season with salt and pepper and a little more curry powder if you like. Stir in the soaked sultanas and almonds and transfer to an ovenproof dish.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
5. For the custard topping : lightly whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, nutmeg and sugar. Stir in the whipping cream and brandy and season with salt and pepper.
6. Pass the mixture through a sieve into a jug and carefully pour over the lamb. Put the dish in a roasting tin and pour in enough hot water to come half way up the side.
7. Cook in the pre-heated oven for about 40 minutes until the custard is set and lightly coloured.
8. For the summer salsa: in a large bowl, combine the avocados with the olive oil, limejuice and chilli. Season, mix well, and then add all the other ingredients. Check the seasoning, adding a little more lime juice if needed.
9. Serve the bobotie with the summer salsa.
Rate This Recipe