- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the base
- 100 g sponge fingers
- 100 ml Frangelico, (hazelnut liqueur)
For the ganache
- 125 g double cream
- 125 g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
For the custard
- 40 g instant custard powder
- 40 g caster sugar
- 150 ml milk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 50 ml banana liqueur, or brandy
- 150 ml double cream
- 2 bananas
For the chantilly cream
- 200 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 15 g toasted flaked almonds
- cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Break the sponge fingers up and soak in the Frangelico liqueur. Line the base of 4 dessert glasses with the fingers.
2. Pour the cream into a small saucepan and bring to simmering point. Add the chocolate and stir until all the chocolate has melted.
3. Pour this mixture over the sponge bases and leave to set for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
4. Meanwhile, make the custard. Combine the custard powder, sugar and 3-4 tablespoons of milk to make a smooth paste.
5. Heat the remaining milk, vanilla, banana liquor and cream to simmering point.
6. Slowly whisk in the custard paste and simmer until thickened. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
7. Slice the bananas and arrange a layer over the chocolate ganache.
8. Pour the cooled custard over the bananas and refrigerate for a further 10 minutes.
9. Place the cream, icing sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk to soft peaks.
10. Pile the cream on top of the custard and garnish with flaked almonds. Dust the trifles with cocoa powder and serve chilled.
Rate This Recipe