- Serves: Makes 1 x 23cm round cake
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the cake
- 150 g dark chocolate, organic
- 250 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 125 g caster sugar
- 100 g lightlight muscovado sugar
- 3 eggs
- 142 ml carton soured cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 160 g unsalted butter, melted
- 125 ml water
For the icing
- 175 g dark chocolate, organic
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 275 g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp chocolate-flavoured liqueur
1. Grease and line 2 x 23cm round cake tins. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda cocoa powder and both sugars.
4. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, soured cream and vanilla extract.
5. Add the melted butter to the egg mixture, followed by all the dry ingredients and the melted chocolate.
6. Stir in the water to make a rich chocolate batter.
7. Transfer the batter to the 2 prepared cake tins and bake for about 40-50 minutes or until a cake tester or skewer comes out clean when plunged into the cake.
8. Cool in the cake tins for a few minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack.
9. To make the boozy chocolate icing; melt the chocolate as above.
10. Cream the butter with the icing sugar until soft and creamy.
11. Stir in the melted chocolate and chocolate-flavoured liqueur.
12. To assemble the cake; place one cake on a plate and spread with some of the icing. Place the other cake on top and spread the top and sides with the remaining icing. Serve cut into wedges.
Rate This Recipe