- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg beetroot, roughly chopped
- 450 g carrots, roughly chopped
- 8 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 litres beef stock
- black pepper
- soured cream
- beef pirags
1. Put all the vegetables in a large saucepan with the bay leaf and caraway seeds. Add the stock, cover and bring to a rapid boil.
2. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.
3. Remove the bay leaf. Pour the soup into a food processor or blender and liquidise until smooth.
4. Push the soup through a medium sieve set over the saucepan. Check the seasoning.
5. Reheat gently, but do not allow to boil. Serve with a bowl of soured cream and the Beef Pirags.
Rate This Recipe